The Fatima College of Medicine is one of the Philippine’s most distinguished centers for medical education. Constantly responding to the rapid changes in science, technology and the social environment, Fatima fulfills its commitment to produce competent, world class medical practitioners.
It strives to create the best environment for students to master the principles and theories of medicine and obtain sufficient knowledge and experience to launch into a successful practice.Its the first and only Philippine medical school to have an institutional clerkship program with a foreign hospital. In fact, the University has sent over 100 medical students for clerkship training at the Brooklyn Medical Center and Peninsula Hospital in New York and Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago. Thus, creating career opportunities abroad for young men and women.
The Fatima College of Medicine is housed in five buildings where you’ll find the school’s lecture halls, seminar and conference rooms, research and teaching laboratories, classrooms, amphitheater, library facilities with audio visual monitors, administrative offices of the departments and parking space.
The College has the latest sophisticated medical laboratory equipment that meet the standards of the Board of Medical Education. Also, it has a computer laboratory equipped with internet access to facilitate research work and networking of all medical students.
The main campus is located in Valenzuela City, on the outskirt of Metropolitan Manila. Highly charged and steaming with activity, the main campus in Valenzuela City houses the College of Medicine Building and the Allied Medicine Bld (AMS) where the College of Dentistry is situated. Common areas are Wi-Fi accessible. Also situated in Valenzuela is the Fatima University Medical Center that is a partner institution for the College of Medicine.
The Valenzuela campus has easy access to downtown Manila and metro Quezon City. Bus and taxi commutes are easy and numerous. The metro train terminals (LRT: NW to SW and MRT: N to S) are only 15-25 minutes ride from campus.
The international student community in OLFU is a group that consists of many different nationals. This diversity along with the Philippines’ multi-cultural atmosphere allows for a unique learning experience that brings out the best in each and every student.
- New Innovation comes with new Outcome-Based programs and the horizontal-vertical integration of basic subjects with clinical co-relation.
- Balance of lecture hours and clinical hours where students are exposed to real cases
- Competency based with problem oriented approach
- Traditional didactic/ Laboratory sessions are retained
- Students are given time for each subject devoted to self-directed learning activities and discussions.
Accreditations and Achievements
- Fully accredited by the Association of the Philippine Medical Colleges
- Listed in the World Health Organization Geneva Recognized Medical Schools
- Fatima has an ongoing Clerkship Program with the Harbor Hospital in Baltimore and Jackson Park in Chicago, USA
- Accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education
- Accredited by the New York State Board of Education
- Recognized by the California Quality Health Assurance
- Competent Alumni placed in key hospitals in the Philippines and Abroad
- Garnering topnotchers in the Physician’s Licensure Examinations Philippines .
Facts and Figures
Our Lady of Fatima University was granted Autonomous Status last March 2009 by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) for its ‘accomplishments, adherence to quality assurance, and commitment to public responsibility and accountability as a higher education institution’.
All private higher education institutions (PHEI) strive for Autonomous Status but only very few attain such status and added to the roster.
INSTITUTIONAL QUALITY ASSURANCE THROUGH MONITORING AND EVALUATION (IQuAME)
Our Lady of Fatima University applied to Commission on Higher Education (CHED) for the commission’s national program called IQuAME (Institutional Quality Assurance through Monitoring and Evaluation) and was granted A(t) Status that states that OLFU is recognized as a ‘Mature Teaching Institution’.
CENTER OF DEVELOPMENT
Previous to IQuAME, the College of Nursing of the University was cited as a Center of Development (COD) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
A course granted Center of Development status is a unit within any higher education institution (HEI) with a strong undergraduate program and a strong potential to develop its faculty and its capability in research.